Sewing with Fabric Samples

Even though there is more work involved, I enjoy sewing with fabric samples. The bags made from samples take more time because each sample needs to be cut individually and then matched with another sample to form a bag. Sometimes, samples happen to be 18 inches square. These are awesome to work with for obvious reasons (the bag pattern calls for 18 inch pieces). However, most of the samples we get are 24 inches square.
The following diagram shows how I cut those samples. I get one side of a bag and 4 handles out of each piece…
As you can see, some of the bags have longer handles from the 24 inch pieces. This is great because some people like a bag with a bit longer handle. We only give these bags away at events as they are far too heavy/expensive to ship. Aren't they pretty though? Nice and sturdy too!
I liked some of these so much that I numbered them and have them in the back of my car to give out. I keep meaning to have a supply in my car…
now I do! Grab some fabric samples and start sewing! Many home decor places will give them to you for free. Let me know if you make some. Teresa